Friday, January 11, 2013

A Kiss on the Hand

Dear Friends and Family,
Something very special happened to me just last weekend. I've pondered the experience many times and have been hesitant to share it because I don't want the focus to be on myself. Until two nights ago when Brother Rau was teaching about the Holy Ghost and told us it is our duty to stand as witnesses I was not planning on sharing this story. It is not about me, or about her, it is about Him.

Braedon and I had the opportunity of going to the Beehive House (a home where seniors live) with a couple from our ward, Jake and Kelsey Barton. I was very excited about going clear up until the time when I walked into the door; when I passed through that frame, an unusual shy feeling overtook me. You should know that shy is not a characteristic of mine, and I felt very uncomfortable with the personality switch. I sat on a hard kitchen chair furthest away from everyone and I didn't understand it.
We had arrived a few minutes before it was time to begin and we were waiting for a couple more people to show up. As I sat there by myself I noticed an elderly woman in a rocking chair. A shawl-like blanket hung loosely from her body as if it wanted to drop to the ground. She was very frail looking and her face seemed to have formed into a sad look over time. Not long after noticing her I saw her countenance change into something awful. She was almost crying, but not with tears. She couldn't sit still and looked as if she were in terrible pain. She kept trying to sit up but didn't seem to have hardly any control over her feeble body. Finally a nurse came to her and said, "I know your leg hurts. I already gave you medicine, you need to just sit back."
The nurse walked away, but the woman's face continued to show her agony. She kept trying to sit up, but another woman said the same thing to her, "You need to just sit back."
I felt my eyes burn with fresh tears, but didn't know what I could possibly do. I didn't know anything about her, her condition, or what would help. I felt my heart break a little bit.
And then a strong prompting overcame me and told me to move my chair across the room to where she was seated. I felt very hesitant, and looking back, it was silly I felt that way. It took me a full minute before I picked up the chair and moved it right next to her.
I wanted to hold her hand, I wanted it badly. I was so afraid she wouldn't respond positively, or even worse, that she would respond negatively. I did it anyway because I knew I needed to.
I placed my hand gently on top of her fragile fingers and grasped lightly as I whispered, "It's going to be okay." And then I held me breath... She promptly lifted her hand, mine on top of hers, up to her face, and she kissed me on the hand. It was one of the sweetest things I've ever felt, and Heavenly Father's love for her burned both in my heart and in the tears that began to fall from my cheeks. In that moment I needed her as much as needed me, and it felt good. For the rest of our sacrament meeting she slept soundly and not once more did she show any sign of pain.

I have no idea how she is now or how much longer she'll live. I did learn her name as we were leaving. Vivian. All I know is that she desperately needed to be touched, to be shown that she is loved. I was extremely blessed that such a special moment took place through me.

 Please don't ever ignore a prompting from the Spirit. You never know what you may be a part of. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I really appreciate your willingness to share your experiences and spirit with the world. I needed a pick-me-up this morning and when I saw your post I felt I should read it. You are so beautiful and loving and I'm so glad to have the blessing of knowing you!

    ReplyDelete