Braedon and I have survived our craziest semester of our lives, and I don't know exactly how we did it.
Quickly after the beginning of the semester I realized I had taken on too much at one time, and soon after that I learned that I'd suffer from the decision to do too many things.
Elder Richard G. Scott said this last General Conference that "Many voices from the world in which we live tell us we should live at a frantic pace. There is always more to do and more to accomplish." Elder Scott knows his stuff. Our world is incredibly fast-paced and seems to never slow down let alone stopping to take a breath. This exemplifies how I've felt the last four months and I am so grateful to have learned that there is such a thing as "too many good things." I have promised myself to never again become so busy and overwhelmed that I feel I don't have time to enjoy life. I am indeed grateful to Braedon for his patience and encouragement during this period of trial.
But enough about being busy. There were many extremely good things that took place this last semester. I am incredibly excited for and proud of Braedon who completed his best ever semester with all grades in the A range! He accomplished this while working for IFA, serving in the Songs of the Heart choir presidency, serving in the Elder's Quorum presidency (as 2nd counselor then as 1st), and being a remarkable husband all at the same time.
For me, something that was a huge pick-me-up toward the end of the semester was being rewarded the The Walt and Mary McCulley Scholarship. This scholarship was awarded by vote of the English Department staff and it encouraged me to know my professors noticed the effort I was putting into my work. I also was privileged to take a class based around Creative Non-Fiction writing and I grew through my writing in ways I never knew possible. I was able to write three wonderful papers; the first contains accounts of the abuse I endured as a young teenager, the second is about Brother Woodstock (our choir director) and the power of music in his life through his wife's battle with cancer and death, and the third about a life-changing road trip I took with my mom and sister a few years ago. Writing these pieces took a lot of emotion, hours, and tears, but I have learned how much work writing truly is. I look forward to bigger and better things as I strive to publish works that inspire readers across the world.
I have also had the opportunity to work on Personal Progress which is a program for the young women of the LDS Church. I have grown spiritually in beautiful ways and have come to understand how blessed and loved I am as a daughter of Heavenly Father. This program is truly divine and, if I have daughters of my own, am incredibly excited for them to reap the same blessings and knowledge. I will finish the program at the end of this month.
Braedon and I also had an amazing opportunity just last week. We were asked to speak to the young women of a family ward here in Cedar City. We spoke to 9 or so beautiful teenage girls about our marriage and our journey to being sealed in the temple. The Spirit was strong and we were reminded of the blessing it is to be sealed to one another for eternity. One of the most important things we talked to the girls about what the difficult nature of marriage. I feel strongly that young girls are too often blinded by the magic of dating and engagement. I testify that eternal marriage is one of the hardest and most important things we will choose to do in this life. Satan constantly strives to tear families apart, especially those resulting in humans heading toward exaltation. It is through the atonement of Christ that we are humbled, learn to be selfless, and are able to dedicate everything in our being to serving and loving our spouses.
I do not know how to express my gratitude for the man I married. It will soon be our anniversary and we will celebrate the hardest and most rewarding year of our lives. I am grateful that he loves me and forgives me for my past and all the mistakes I will make in the future. I am constantly relieved as I witness his firm standing in the gospel and his desire to serve in any and every calling he will receive in this life. I feel privileged to be married to a man who constantly strives to treat me better and love me harder.
Everyone, life is good! I promise that if you stand firm in holy places you will make it through even the hardest moments of this mortal life.
All my love,
Trin ♥
I just love you guys.
ReplyDelete